Attukal Bhagavathy Temple Darshan Guide Timings, Entry Fee, Online Booking, Daily Pooja Schedule, How to Reach, Near By places, Stay
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple Darshan Guide
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is a sacred temple located in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Attukal Bhagavathy Temple venerates Goddess Bhagavathy, a Hindu deity associated with strength and affluence. According to belief, the temple was constructed more than 2000 years ago, and since then, it has been an important pilgrimage site for devotees from all over the world.
In today’s article, we will provide you with a complete guide to the Attukal Bhagavathy Temple, including its timings, entry fee, online booking, daily pooja schedule, how to reach, nearby places, and stay.
Significance of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is believed to be over 2000 years old, and it has a rich history and cultural significance. According to legend, the temple was built to commemorate the goddess’s victory over an evil demon named Daruka. The temple is also believed to be the place where the goddess Parvati, the consort of Lord Shiva, assumed the form of Bhagavathy.
The temple is especially significant for women, and it is known as the “Sabarimala of women.” Every year, during the Attukal Pongala festival, millions of women from all over the world come to the temple to offer their prayers and participate in the ritual of cooking Pongala, a sweet dish made with rice and jaggery.
Timings of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is open from 4:00 AM to 11:00 AM and from 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM every day.
Entry Fee of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
There is no entry fee for visiting the temple.
Online Booking of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
Currently, online booking is not available for the temple. However, devotees can book special poojas and offerings through the temple website.
Daily Pooja Schedule of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
The temple follows a strict pooja schedule, which includes various offerings and rituals throughout the day. The daily pooja schedule of the temple is as follows:
- Nirmalyam: 4:00 AM
- Abhishekam: 4:15 AM to 5:00 AM
- Usha Pooja: 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM
- Ethruthu Pooja: 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM
- Pantheeradi Pooja: 9:30 AM to 10:00 AM
- Ucha Pooja: 10:30 AM to 11:00 AM
- Seeveli: 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
- Deeparadhana: 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Festivals Celebrated at Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple celebrates several festivals throughout the year, but the most important festival is the Attukal Pongala, which is held in the Malayalam month of Kumbham (February/March). During the festival, millions of women gather at the temple to offer their prayers and cook Pongala. Other important festivals celebrated at the temple include Navaratri, Vishu, and Thiruvonam.
How to Reach Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is located in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala. The temple is easily accessible by road, rail, and air.
By Air: Thiruvananthapuram International Airport is the nearest airport to the temple, located about 6 km away. From the airport, taxis and auto-rickshaws are available to reach the temple.
By Train: Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station is the nearest railway station to the temple, located about 3 km away. From the station, taxis and auto-rickshaws are available to reach the temple.
By Road: Thiruvananthapuram is well-connected by road to other parts of Kerala and neighboring states. Buses, taxis, and auto-rickshaws are available to reach the temple.
Nearby Places to Visit
There are several places to visit near Attukal Bhagavathy Temple, including:
- Padmanabhaswamy Temple: A famous Hindu temple located in Thiruvananthapuram, known for its intricate architecture and historical significance.
- Kovalam Beach: A popular tourist destination known for its serene beauty and picturesque landscapes.
- Napier Museum: A historical museum located in Thiruvananthapuram, known for its art and artifact collections.
- Shanghumukham Beach: A serene beach located in Thiruvananthapuram, known for its sunset views and peaceful surroundings.
Best Time to Visit Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
The best time to visit Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is during the Attukal Pongala festival, which is held in the Malayalam month of Kumbham (February/March). However, the temple can be visited throughout the year.
Where to Stay near Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
There are several hotels and guesthouses near Attukal Bhagavathy Temple that offer comfortable accommodation for visitors. Some of the popular options include:
- Hotel Chaitram: A budget hotel located near the temple, known for its clean rooms and friendly staff.
- Uday Suites: A luxury hotel located near the airport, known for its spacious rooms and modern amenities.
- Ginger Hotel: A budget hotel located near the railway station, known for its comfortable rooms and affordable rates.
Tips for Visiting Attukal Bhagavathy Temple
- Dress modestly and conservatively while visiting the temple.
- Before entering the temple premises, kindly remove your footwear. Photography is prohibited inside the temple.
- To avoid crowds, it’s advisable to skip visiting the temple during peak hours.
- While inside the temple, it’s important to respect the customs and traditions and maintain a quiet ambiance.
- Follow the temple timings and schedule to plan your visit accordingly.
Located in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is a well-liked Hindu temple renowned for its elaborate architecture, cultural significance, and long-standing history. Visitors can explore the temple complex, attend the daily poojas, and participate in the festivals held throughout the year. With comfortable accommodation options and easy accessibility, For those interested in discovering Kerala’s cultural legacy, visiting the temple is an essential experience.
1. What is the significance of Attukal Pongala festival?
Attukal Pongala festival is the most important festival celebrated at Attukal Bhagavathy Temple. It is a festival where millions of women gather to cook Pongala and offer their prayers to the goddess.
2. Is photography allowed inside the temple premises?
Regrettably, photography is prohibited within the temple grounds.
3. What are the nearby places to visit?
Some of the nearby places to visit include Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Kovalam Beach, Napier Museum, and Shanghumukham Beach.
4. What are the best accommodation options near Attukal Bhagavathy Temple?
Some of the popular accommodation options near the temple include Hotel Chaitram, Uday Suites, and Ginger Hotel.
5. What are some tips for visiting the temple?
Visitors should dress modestly and conservatively, remove footwear before entering the temple, follow the temple timings and schedule, and respect the customs and traditions of the temple.